Two Become One

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I posted earlier how I've been considering changing practices. Going from a practice of 6-7 docs and 3 midwives to a practice of one doc and one midwife, but so far I'm staying where we're at. I asked my doctor these questions at our last appointment that would help me come to that decision.

1. How long after my water breaks should labor begin?
She answered preferably within 24 hours. After that baby and I are put in danger and I'll need to be induced.
2. How many vaginal exams are done/needed during labor?
My preferred answer: As few as necessary.
3. How long will I need external fetal monitoring (standard is 20 minutes minimum)?
From my Bradley instructor:
It is standard practice to use at least intermittent fetal monitoring with the external fetal monitor (EFM), and if there is anything out of the ordinary they tend to want you to have continuous fetal monitoring. However, research shows that the use of EFM increases risk of c-section without improving the outcomes for mother or baby. If you decide you want to decline EFM, you will want to request from the beginning to be monitored only with the Doptone (or Dopplar) after the initial 20 minute strip. There is plenty to research done on this that I can guide you to if you like. They will tell you they have a telemetry unit which allows you to be mobile. That is great for your initial strip (pretty much all hospitals require an initial 20 minute strip), but if you decide you want only Doptone after that you will need to be firm and have communicated that clearly from the beginning. There is no evidence saying EFM is more effective and is only used for liability reasons.
4. What do you do if I go past 40 weeks? Will you induce?
I already forgot the response to this, but I think it was yes.
5. What do you think about episiotomies?
She answered that she doesn't do them routinely. (Whew!)
6. As long as everything is normal how long will you let me push.
7. What are my delivery position options? (stirrups/no stirrups)
They're there if I want them, but I don't.
8. How do you feel about letting the mother nurse the baby immediately, and as long as there are no problems, wait until the placenta is out before the cord is clamped and cut?
Important question and I forgot her answer here too. But she's all for handing me the baby immediately for nursing as long as everything is ok.
9. How do you feel about purposely breaking the bag of water?
Another one I forgot her answer to, but I believe they won't do it.
Most if not all these questions were gathered from the book Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way.
I'm going to have to ask the midwife these questions again and write the answers as soon as I can so I can remember. My memory isn't the greatest pregnant or not :-P


On to more exciting news...I'm 15 weeks!
Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")
Source


As of late, I'm dying to know the sex, but we have exactly 22 days until our anatomy scan! Hopefully, I can last that long. But to look at the bright side, I'll probably feel the baby between now and then! Baby is going to start hearing soon too, so we gotta pick up some good books for her (or him :) and crank up the music!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment