Two Become One

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happy Independence Day!!!

For my first country Honduras!!!


Today they celebrate 189 years of independence from Spain since 1821.

Some facts on how they celebrate.
In Honduras, the people celebrate Independence Day passionately. Schools and colleges stay closed for the celebrations and children participate enthusiastically in music and dancing. Independence Day is marked by three days of celebrations and. Every year schools participate in a contest to determine which can exhibit the most prominent or distinctive presentation. Kindergartens parade on September 13, elementary schools on September 14, and high schools on September 15.

I left Honduras when I was 3 years old so I have no memories whatsoever of being there. I did go back when I was in 6th grade with my mom,, but even those memories have started to fade.

My grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are still there from my mother's side. Recently, my grandparents have become ill so my mom and I are going to try to go in December. Cross your fingers because I would love to see my family before they go to heaven!

On another note, today I made a super yummy dish that turned out like a chili/stew.
Our dinner
cute lil peppers from my friend's garden!

I added some oil to a pot. Then an onion and a few garlic cloves. In went the peppers followed by the squash and zucchini. I add several spices and herbs like cumin, ground oregano, red pepper flakes, salt/pepper, parsley. I added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of black eyed peas.

Finally I threw in some Naan bread in the oven...yup sounds like a Latin/Indian dish :-)

No after pics! We devoured this and I was too hungry to take pics, lol. It was great though and super easy!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment