Two Become One

Friday, October 14, 2011

Easton's birthday part 2

So where was I?

The doctor showed up sometime in the morning and joined the fun. She was on my left, Justin on my right, the midwives down below. I was in bed on my back, where I NEVER thought I'd be. In class we learned that it's not the most natural position to birth but rather squatting would be easier. Yeah well, no one told me that sometimes being on your back is necessary. Easton was tilted just right so that it caused him to be stuck a little. I had to get on my back to get him out.

So after maybe 30 minutes or an hour(?) of screaming and pushing, out came Easton. He immediately starting crying. I was in shock because all of a sudden he was just there. I can't really explain my thoughts at this point. I was exhausted and excited all at the same time. He was put on my stomach and I just held him and we looked at him in awe.

My baby boy was here! Born at 11:43am weighing 8lbs 4 oz and 20 inches long.

I tried to see if he would do that baby crawl to my breast, but he was having a hard time so I had to help him, lol.

The pain doesn't end here though. The placenta still had to come out. That hurt like a you know what. All the while, the midwife is pushing on my stomach! I was given a shot of Pitocin in my leg because I was bleeding a lot. There I was expecting this part not to hurt because again I read that you'll be so into your baby you won't notice what's going on down there. Yeah right.

So after a while they wanted me to get up and go pee, but as soon as I tried to get up I passed out. Guess what I got then? A sniff of ammonia and a catheter. I'm telling you, you lose all modesty!

Easton did get a Vitamin K shot because of all the pushing I did and just in case he experienced any bruising.

Later when I did get up to pee on my own I passed out again in the bathroom so I was given an IV. This helped a lot and by 11pm that night we went home. Everything was perfect and we were totally in love. Little did we know that two days later all hell would break loose.

I'll write about the jaundice and our hospital stay next.

Only hours old :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment